History


A slice of history

The story begins in 1360, when Lord Bérard built a small feudal castle consisting of a square house surrounded by 4 round towers.

In 1564, during the wars of religion, the 2 north towers were destroyed by fire.

In 1785, on the marriage of the daughter of the Marquis Bérard de Montalet d’Alais to the nephew of the bailiff of Suffren St Tropez, a decision was made to restore and enlarge the chateau by adding a floorThe grounds were also laid out in the style of Versailles. Eighty orange tree take place in the entrance yard during the mild season and sheltered during winter in the Orangery which is built specially for them.

The property remained in the family until the early 20th century, when the last Marquis died.

It was successively bequeathed and sold, became a “farm building” in 1936 and then a gîte in the 1960s.  It has been listed in the ‘Monuments de France’ Supplementary Inventory since 1947.

We arrived in 1999 and began in 2003 a one year complete restoration of the Chateau, paying careful attention to its historic past and to the most stringent hotel standards.

We have also redeveloped the land that offers the setting for the chateau, with the aim of returning it to its former glory.

In 2012, we continued to develop the estate by building the Moulin du Chateau, an oil mill used to process the fruit from our 1400 olive trees.

“Look after body and soul”: a maxim that has become our motto…